I knew exactly what I wanted to do for my kids’ teachers at the end of the school year…as soon as I saw it. It is actually a combination of Erin Vale’s design that I posted on Wednesday and a Martha Stewart idea. The self-wrapped terra-cotta pot idea was featured in the April 2012 Martha Stewart Living but it is also available online. In true working mom fashion, I have missed the boat on teacher appreciation week and Mother’s Day but this gift idea would be perfect for a number of occasions!
Here is how it turned out!
Materials:I took Erin Vale’s chalkboard pot idea and added a saucer, bow, and gift tag. Waa-laaa!!
- Terra-cotta rose pots from Michaels $1.29
- Matching saucer $0.89
- Martha Stewart chalkboard paint $5.99 ($3.60 with a 40% coupon)
- Seed packet from Lowes $1.57
- Chalk (free from my “rainy day” kids stash)
- Scrapbook paper
- Paint the outside of each pot (a foam brush work best for even coverage).
- Wait “1 hour” between coats (the terra-cotta was dry in about 1/10th of the time)
- Apply 3-4 coats of chalkboard paint for a nice smooth finish.
- Optional, paint the saucers or leave natural.
- Wait 1 hour for final coat to dry.
- Include seed packet(s), note, and chalk. There’s plenty of room for something small like a plant stake or even a gift card.
- Write message on outside of pot
Thanks for helping our little one Bloom.
So well under $10 for all of the materials and less than 2 hours from start to finish for 4 pots!