Recently, my husband and kids went out of town for about 36 hours. I had to work both days, but I had no idea what to do with myself with I got home!! Should I clean while I had a chance? I know that sounds crazy, but the thought of just being able to clean uninterrupted was somewhat appealing. Should I run errands or hang out at Starbucks for a couple of hours? Should I take a 2 hour long bubble bath? Should I make my daughter’s scrapbook from over 18 months ago? I had no idea what the best use of my time was.
Here is what transpired:
- Stayed 15 min late at work and didn’t have to rush home or call sitter
- Spent 45 min at the craft store
- Turned on a few extra lights when I got home because I would never let my kids do that
- Organized a few junk piles (sorry, DH!)
- Picked up/surface cleaned for about 60 minutes
- Talked to my son for a few minutes and then had to let DH off the phone because said son was crawling through a dog door
- Turned on the “Hottest Hits” music channel just to see what grown up music sounded like again
- Poured a glass of wine
- Ate some wheat thins for an appetizer and ruined my appetite, LOL
- Watched “The Glee Project” (embarrasingly hooked) and turned up the volume louder than necessary
- Worked on craft project
- Torn between going to bed early or staying up late to enjoy “me time” (stayed up late)
- Torn between getting up early to enjoy more “me time” or sleep in late since no kids to wake up and no mooching off my breakfast/lunch making (slept in)
I missed my kids like crazy, and I hate sleeping by myself. I definitely appreciated and cherished the time to be alone, though. Even though I had to work the next day (yes, the thought crossed my mind to call in sick), I felt a slight sigh of relief knowing the house would look exactly like the way I left it.
What would you do with 24 hours of time to yourself??