I will say that I know the least about this option so if you have any experience I would love to have your comments. Please let me know if you would be interested in writing a more detailed post.
We did evaluate several home daycares when we were looking for an option to our daycare center. I probably interviewed at least 3 home daycares and evaluated at least another 5 or so online. Home daycares are kind of a cross between a big, licensed center and a sitter/nanny. There are small home daycares with typically just 2-3 kids, and then there are larger home daycares with up to 6 unrelated children (in our state). There are also group daycare homes (7-18 kids) but these are much harder to find in my experience.
The disadvantages of home daycares, in my experience:
- Lack of certification
- Difficulty in getting certified
- Rules differ by state
- Up to 1:6 ratio (or higher)
- Lack of backup care of provider is sick
- Provider vacation time
- Various ages
- Safety in someone else’s home
and, the advantages I have seen:
- Cost, similar to large daycare center, sometimes cheaper
- Siblings often together
- More control of schedule (naps, meals)
- Flexible hours
- Smaller ratio than daycare centers for older children
- Often certified by state
Do you have a home daycare provider? Is it a good option?